Where we are?
Sheoaks on Freycinet is ideally positioned right on the waterfront on the spectacular Freycinet Peninsula on Tasmania’s East Coast, only minutes from the village of Coles Bay and Freycinet National Park. We’re equidistant from Launceston and Hobart airports, both about 2 hours away.
How long should we stay?
If you’ve grabbed a last minute weekend flight bargain and are here for a short break, regard it as a taster. We know you will want to return for longer. This is a serenely beautiful area, perfect for doing very little, yet equally great for its many outdoor activities. Our 2 night minimum stay will give you time for a few walks and perhaps something like a cruise. Allow yourself longer to more thoroughly explore and unwind. Our Activities page provides lots of ideas.
When you book to stay at Sheoaks we’ll ask which way you are coming from. That’s so we can e-mail travel notes for the journey to Sheoaks from anywhere else in Tasmania. Our notes make suggestions for stops en route and tell you where to find a snack if needed.
What to bring
Our climate is mild with an average summer temperature in the mid to high 20’s and an average winter temperature of 16°C. Because we’re in a rain shadow area we only receive 550 mm (22 inches) of rain/year. You’d be extremely unlucky if it rained for your entire visit, whatever the season.
- Jeans or shorts and a T shirt with something warm and rainproof just in case are suitable summer wear.
- Bathers if you want to swim. We can lend beach towels.
- In winter go for layers, starting with warm underwear and woolly sox. Jeans and a warmer shirt with polar fleece or a jumper and again a rainproof or puffer jacket will suffice. Add a beanie and gloves in mid winter.
- Sneakers will be OK footwear for short walks but proper walking boots and thick sox are recommended for anything longer. e.g. Mt Amos.
- A lightweight back pack is the easiest way to carry things when walking.
- Sun screen and a shady hat – we’re nearer the hole in the ozone layer than the mainland.
- Your camera, smart phone or tablet. Note that your phone will only work for calls if you are with Telstra.
- Binoculars if you’re a bird watcher. We provide field guides.
A valid park entry permit is required for entry to Tasmania's national parks, including Freycinet. For information on the range of passes and how to buy them go to www.parks.tas.gov.au
Most Coles Bay activity operators are small. If you plan on anything other than walking in the National Park it's always a good idea to make a reservation in advance because activities book out. By booking beforehand you will avoid disappointment! Go to Activities to see what's available.